Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fall of a tyrant

If you are thinking that I'm going to bore you with any political events, please relax. I have no such intentions. I just happen to remember an amusing incident, where it took just one bold girl to end a tyranny, where many others (including yours truly) had failed, and want to pen it down. This happened long back (in July 2001), when I was a summer intern at a software product company in Berlin. Many fellow interns took a week off the work, and planned to go to Italy. As I love to plan my own itinerary, I was reluctant to join them, and started planning a trip of my own.

Few good friends were interning in Paris at the same time, and I decided to go for a 4 day Paris trip instead of 8 day Italy trip. The only catch was that I was to go alone to Paris. Being a student on budget, I booked a return bus ticket from Berlin to Paris. Our story starts when I boarded the bus from Berlin at about 6 pm on a Friday evening in early July. The bus driver was a jolly fellow, but the conductor was an old woman reminding me immediately of Lalita Pawar. She made it very clear that no soft drinks or eatables would be allowed in bus. Some people, including me tried to convince her about letting us carry soft drinks and snacks with us, but she made everyone put all eatables in hand luggage, with stern instructions not to take them out inside the bus.

The bus started towards Paris, but everyone was unusually silent, as the conductor had rebuffed few people about talking what she considered noisily. The ride was very comfortable, and I passed time listening to my Sony Walkman. At dinner break, I started talking to fellow travelers in general, and eventually found a young man from Belgium to converse with, initially about things to see in Paris, and later about European Life. We resumed journey, and eventually I fell asleep. Early next morning, there was some commotion in the front rows of the bus. Turned out that the conductor had caught a young couple kissing, and was rebuffing the young man, who looked terrified, and was trying to apologize.

It was at that point, that the girl accompanying the boy stood up, and took matters into her hands. She argued with conductor for about 5 minutes, mostly in German, but I could make out that both were pretty angry. By then, all eyeballs were glued on those two. Suddenly the girl thundered (first in English, and then repeated in German): "Does anyone have any problem with me"? No one uttered a word, and the girl, emboldened, bellowed to the conductor lady: "Seems like you are the only one having a problem. Why don't you go and relax"? The conductor looked defeated, went to her seat, and the couple resumed kissing after some hesitation from the boy's side. And that's not the end of story!!! Within 5 minutes, I heard people conversing in louder voices. Few pulled out pastries/snacks from their bags, and several opened soft drink/beer cans. It was as if they had been liberated from a tyrant and wanted to celebrate. I won't debate about who was right and who was wrong here, but the point is, it proved that it only takes 1 person to instill courage in others, and to begin the fall of a tyrant.

PS: My decision not to go to Italy in 2001 turned out to be a good one, and I toured Italy for over a week in summer of 2002, with responsibility of handling most of travel and budgeting plans for the group, which I enjoyed a lot. That trip instilled in me an amazing sense of self confidence, and will be dealt with in a separate longish post.

No comments: