Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Unstoppable force vs Immovable object

The following dialogue are from British romantic comedy Imagine Me & You. It's the story of a girl (Rachel) who falls in love on her wedding day (to complicate the matters, with another girl (Luce)). Our hero (Hector) had no idea what hit him till almost the very end.

Scene 1:

Rachel's sister: What happens when an unstoppable force meets a immovable object?
Hector: I haven't got a clue, I'm afraid.
Luce: It never happens.
If there's a thing that can't be stopped...
it's not possible for there to be something else which can't be moved, and vice versa.
They can't both exist. You see, "it's a trick question..." is the answer.

Scene 2: (Rachel: on her wedding day with Hector)

They say fairy tales have happy endings, even though the passage can be rough.
But Heck and I were mates and then lovers. And it's been smooth all the way.
Maybe that's a better kind of fairytale.

Scene 3: (Hector letting Rachel go to pursue her true love)

I want you to be happy, but more than anything, I wanted to be the cause of happiness in you. But if I'm not, then I can't stand in the way. What you're feeling, Rachel, is the unstoppable force, which means that I've got to move.

Scene 4: (Hector to Rachel's sister in a crying tone, after she is gone)

I'm trying to do the right thing...
and now I think I should have not...
'cause...
if she'd stayed with me out of guilt,
that would have been fine, wouldn't it?
I mean, wouldn't it?

The manner in which our hero said "I mean, wouldn't it?", made me feel really sorry for him.

Why write this up? Firstly, I liked the movie. Secondly, though the dialogue are very simple, they inter-relate beautifully to convey the following: Love is an unstoppable force, which can move any object, even those considering themselves immovable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what if the force of resistance is unstoppable and it forces those lovers to move apart who are taking their love to be immovable ?

Simple person in a complex world said...

Short answer:
If any force is able to move the lovers apart, clearly their love was not immovable.

Long answer:
In my perception, true love is not an immovable object, but an unstoppable force :-). The things opposing love may look like immovable objects, but ultimately will have to make way for love. And if love is not able to make way for itself, it never was true.

my vibrant life said...

love is not just about proving to the entire world that your feelings r true... i guess it is more about two people having a strong emotional attachment between themselves.... where coming together eventually is not the ultimate goal...
in my opinion 2 people in love with each other can live separate lives and still have the same intensity of emotions for the rest of their lives...
this won't b a happy ending... but at least they'll be happy to know... that because of each other... they experienced the extraordinary phenomenon called ... love.

Anonymous said...

nice post. I would love to follow you on twitter.