Thursday, November 30, 2006

Things to consider before switching job...

Software engineers in India are hot commodities in job market (at least till now), and keep getting new job offers. I framed the classical dilemma of whether to switch job as a question to a good friend as a question, and the clarity of the answer simply amazed me. I'm putting it as such (with some grammatical remodeling) for the benefit of others :-)

Question:
You generally like your present job and are getting a salary X (which is ok) and generally work Y (which is comfortable) hours a day. At another company, you are being offerered a salary 1.2-1.3 times X, but you will need to work lot more hours a week.

Answer:
1) If money is one of my priorities in life or if I need to raise some money in little time, then I would take up the job.

2) If I'm not staying with my family and whatever extra time I get each day after leaving from office and on weekends, I find it difficult to spend that time, then I would take the new job.

3) But in case money... or rather extra money... doesn't figure anywhere in my priority list... and also the time I get off the office... I've many things 2 do in that time... then I won't take the new job.

4) Finally, if I'm passionate about doing the work I've been offered to do in the new job... If my heart and soul lies in that work... Then even if it would pay me the same amount but allow me to work extra hours... I'll take up the job...!!!

No comments: